History Racing is recorded in Tralee as far back as 1767, when a week-long meeting was held, the results of which are recorded in the Turf Club.
|HORSE & LAD
Courtesy of: Jonathan Cooper, Park Walk Gallery
Great pride was taken in these meetings as is indicated by the organisers of the August 1805 meeting when they observed "The thanks of the meeting was unanimously given to the Steward for his uniform politeness and attention and his daily punctuality in paying the plates." Various venues in the locality were used until the present site, in Ballybeggan Park, was first opened to racing in 1889.
The park was formerly a deer park, and the stone for the surrounding limestone wall was quarried out of the land in the infield area of the course. The estate was formerly the property of Daniel O'Connell, The Liberator, in whose honour the Liberator Handicap is run annually.